door kind of way. She can be bold, sarcastic, and yet timid in love. If she had a
verb, it would be “to perform” though — she’s an actress, very adept at hiding
her true emotions and conforming to others’ expectations of her. But in this
book she’s coming into her own.
– Liam: 25, dark hair, blue eyes — probably played by Liam Hemsworth
actually. Also bold and sarcastic, and his verb would be “to provoke.” He
constantly challenges the system and everyone’s expectations, and he pushes
Rebecca past her comfort zone.
– Francis: 23, long dark hair in a ponytail, pale, rarely smiles… think a young
Benedict Cumberbatch with long hair. He’s basically Sherlock Holmes: brilliant
but socially inept, but he learns to find his emotions in this book. His verb
would be “to brag”: he’s always telling everyone how awesome he is.
– Larissa: Red hair, ears that stick out, thick hornrim glasses, an expression sort
of like Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter. She’s a programmer but with the
heart of a dreamer. Her verbs might be to delight in, to imagine, or to
– Karen: Rebecca’s mother, in her 50s, and the head of the Renegades,
otherwise known as “M.” She’s got short auburn hair, she’s wiry and energetic,
rational, and basically always right. Her verbs would be to command, to
dictate, to instruct, or to control.
– Val: Mousy brown hair, heart-shaped face, very sweet looking. She’s the
perennial pleaser, heart on her sleeve. She’s Liam’s ex-girlfriend and still in
love with him. Her verb might be “to nourish”: she feeds everyone, she listens,
she decorates, she empathizes.
– Nilesh: Indian, dark hair, relatively slight build (also a programmer). But he’s
vivacious and excitable, always up for adventure.
– Mack: He’s dating Karen: white hair, about 10 yrs older than she is (so in his
60s) and in pretty good shape for a guy his age. He’s good with his hands, Mr.
Fix-It, but much more Type B compared to Karen. His verbs might be to
comfort, encourage, or support. He’s very dad-like to Rebecca (whose dad
– Jaguar: She is the primary antagonist in the story. She’s A.I. superintelligence,
but in the form of a 20-something girl who is in many ways much like a toddler
emotionally. She is pouty and dangerous when she doesn’t get her way, but
her voice is musical and charming, and she’s obsessed with the color red.
– Madeline: Rebecca’s companion robot: she’s about a foot to two feet tall,
silver, and on wheels, with wide eyes that take up about half her face. She’s
the ideal empathic friend, reflecting back to Rebecca all of her emotions.
– Liam Senior: Liam’s father, and he’s the CEO of General Specs (think Apple or
Amazon in this world), so high powered, but rather cowardly when it comes to
his own life. He’s very handsome, a 50-something year old version of his son.